PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepotism in pilot selection
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2023, 14:25
ilvee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by skyguardian88
The same was saying a guy in airBaltic topic
There was a conversation about the pilots who were not filling the entry requirements and still got in
As a result just for the ab A220 fleet, there are 3 runway excursions, one AOG due a hard landing (93kt over the runway in AMS hitting the ground above 1200 fpm ) and an incident where an A220 started final descent before FAF and was flying at 600ft AGL in 6,5 NM before the runway threshold, over Brussels city in VMC
Haha, I bet these pilots are the ones who have never been the best or brightest ones in the training either. I’ve got a friend at AB who had a partner in the assesment (B737SIM) who used the wrong foot in oei-situation, could not fly raw data ILS even when given multiple attempts and had well over 1000 hrs. I’m not saying that the experience does not matter, of course if you have 2000 hrs in type, you are more competent to fly the aircraft than freshly graduated pilot with less than 200hrs. But lets say that there is a flight school in which 100 from 3000-4000 applicants get chosen, a pilot with top attitude and work ethic might be much better first officer after type-rating course than someone from a commercial flight school where almost anyone can buy their pilot training from and then getting 1000 hrs from somewhere.

It differs so much from individual to individual, even though in most cases the experienced pilot is on the front foot. It is much easier to train a pilot with good personality to fly well than to try to change an unwanted personality of a experienced pilot.