PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR 42 and 72 - aerodynamics during landing
Old 28th May 2023, 10:47
Twomonthsoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming from an experienced TP captain who is current, the ATR72 is a dog of an aeroplane; handles poorly, insufficient power especially when it comes to icing conditions; you must get your flare/hold off correct, keep it at about 5deg during landing, much more ie 8 and you will scrape your butt! Lo bank hi bank etc etc, IMHO, it’s way too complex for us simple pilots. It’s an accountants aeroplane, burns average 630-680 ph where I operate (ISA +15) which is v good. I am most definitely not saying in any way that it’s unsafe but this type requires care and attention through all phases of flight and as far as I’m concerned, of all the types I’ve operated, my least favourite. And one more thing, ATR attempting to improve things with their shiny multi screened 600; just doesn’t work for me, it’s still just an underpowered 72 that’s frankly no good for the hotter climates. 42-500 is a very capable machine; I operated this in the tropics too with very high LSALT’s; a pilots machine much more so than the 72; if you’re down a donk, it will keep you out of trouble!

If you’re not convinced, why do Aussie TP operators prefer the Q400; it simply performs under those conditions

Last edited by Twomonthsoff; 28th May 2023 at 11:55.