PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eject! Eject! - John Nichol
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2023, 06:34
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Squipdit Fashions

"....and what appears to be a US bone dome? Something frowned upon in HM's RAF!"

Sorry John, that may be the real Goose himself (with the beard) but that's a Mk2A helmet (predictably, a precursor of the Mk3 series but with the g-activated/one-pull sprung visor mech, via the yellow bar); UK Phantom torso harness, Mk17 LSJ and a Type 317 man-mounted regulator. Clearly even the esteemed RN SE's wouldn't let him fly with the US helmet - all that kit was all standard RAF/Pusser's issue at the time. Which is more than can be said for the Captain's dodgy beret, surely?!
Thanks for this. A mis-ID from me on early helmets! Though I asked for a good reason - one of the stories I cover in the book is Charlie Neel, the USAF exchange officer on Lightnings. When he ejected (flying alongside Chris Coville - later 'AM Sir Chris') he was wearing his USAF helmet adapted with UK fittings, and his USAF boots. He got a bit of a kicking for this at the Board of Inquiry.

Interestingly, Charlie's replacement on 5 Sqn was Capt William Schaffner - subject of another recent thread here about a 'non-ejection' and UFOs.....

And Charlie had PREVIOUSLY ejected from a F-100 in Vietnam with Guy Grutrers and been rescued (incredible combat recovery under fire). Gruters then ejected AGAIN a few weeks later, was captured and spent 5 1/2 years in Hell as a PoW.

Ejecting certainly can be, just the start of a journey!