PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps - WW2
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2023, 18:53
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Potential thread creep !!!

Originally Posted by BEagle
There was a hangar at my school (Kings College Taunton) which had been built in 1938. At various times it had held a Bristol Bulldog, Hawker Nimrod and ultimately after the war, a Spitfire!

All gone by the time I was there - it was just used to store the boarders' school trunks....and an old car belonging to the Motor Club.
Unless it was an AC or Bently do not even think of identifying the car !!!!
We had an AC two litre saloon at Kenley parked behind the fretwork fighters .It would carry 6 staff cadets who would bump start it as it had no starter or generator. We found an enormous extra battery and kept it charged and would use it on side lights only for evening ops around Surrey and London (lots of street lights). It consumed vast amounts of OMD 110 and had an oil filler like a submarine escape hatch (half a gallon at a time). It even 'escaped' to Cornwall for a S Cadet outing with a charge en route. (they were big batteries) probably 'borrowed' off a Wilde twin drum winch. CO not happy the following w-end as the G School was rather short of the 'workers'.
I think it was an unofficial protest as we were not getting much flying ourselves due to an influx of u/t civilian instructors, and it did improve after we were 'missed'.