PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reuters: Asiana passenger reportedly opens A321 emergency exit during approach
Old 27th May 2023, 13:38
Jonty

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
It would be more accurate to say that it's impossible to open a door that initially moves inwards against a fully pressurised cabin, for obvious reasons.

Doors like those on narrow-body Airbuses, that move upwards and then outwards, are subject to different considerations. It may be that cruise diff pressure is sufficient to prevent the upwards movement of the door, but I wouldn't want to bet on that. Nor, presumably, would Asiana.
From what I understand, there’s a whole section of door at the top that folds inwards (but not by much) this allows the door to move upwards and over the door stops, then out. So the pressurisation should hold the door against the stops, and not allow the panel at the top to move inwards. I have to admit I haven’t tried it, but I bet it’s bloody difficult/impossible to do. Otherwise there’s a small leaver between you and an enormous drop! And I can’t see that being allowed by the authorities.