PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eject! Eject! - John Nichol
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2023, 09:06
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dagenham
just finished the book and it gets better and better.

the Serbia story was very well told and captures the drama of both sides. The closure of many of the threads is extremely well told. For me those parts of the book actually became the most riveting

look forward to the sequel as there are many more interesting tales to tell. think I will have another canter through it next week
Thanks (again) Dagnham. I always look for the 'deeply human' stories when I write. So the 'journeys of redemption' undertaken by the F117 pilot & the gunner who thought he'd killed Mariano Velasco in the Falklands, were really important. For me - they are integral parts of the story of ejection.
As I say a couple of times in the book - "pulling the yellow and black ejection handle is just the start of the journey".

I learnt a lot during my own return trip to Iraq in 2000 (still in Saddam era) when I met a number of those who would have tried to kill me just a few years earlier.

I was privileged to interview Eric Lomax "The Railway Man" about his beyond-horrific experiences as a POW of the Japanese in WW2, and his subsequent journey of reconciliation with his former captors.