PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2023, 08:56
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
SOU-GLA in November with Loganair is a minimum of £85 oneway. However, flights with a VERY similiar departure time to those with Easyjet cost just £50. Easyjet start at £35 oneway. Loganair is not offering the cheaper fare on any date before the end of October, which just happens to be when Easyjet start flying.

The difference in price is real money to many people, especially for a return of 2 adults and 2 kids going to see grandparents, who probably would otherwise travel at a much lower frequency or maybe not at all.

Driving takes 7 hours nonstop or 8+ hours allowing for breaks at motorway services. The train takes about 7 hours oneway.

There is no way an E145 can possibly match the operating cost per passenger of an A320-family aircraft, assuming an 80%+ load factor, so Loganair in general has to charge significantly higher fares.

Yes, Easyjet charge extra for all kinds of ancillaries, but many people (that includes me), particularly on short domestics for a short trip, will find a way to minimise their ancillary expenditure.

Note - I have nothing personal against Loganair. I've flown with them several times. No flight was cancelled. One flight was delayed because of a large thunderstorm on a small island. Crew have always provided a high level of service. But I just believe SOU-EDI/GLA post-Covid needs the cost benefits of LCC 150+seat aircraft service instead of the high cost of an E145

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 27th May 2023 at 09:51.