PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2023, 18:27
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JW95
Interesting new addition to Gatwick I wonder if this is to deter Ghana Airways from coming in?
Although it's a great addition to LGW I don't see British Airways flying to Accra deterring Ghana Airways from establishing their own flights.

Ghana Airways has three B789s on order and they have maintained from the very start that they eventually intend flying them from Accra to London and New York.

Before the pandemic British Airways had previously announced that they intended to move service to Accra from LHR to LGW. I believe that this decision was overturned because of uproar from the Government of Ghana who demanded a link to LHR.

Regarding that last sentence. It makes me wonder if Ghana Airways will actually be able to obtain slots at LHR. If they can't they will obviously have to use LGW. The Government of Ghana has changed since they made a fuss about British Airways intending to transfer their Accra flight to LGW.

With British Airways announcing service from LGW to ACC running alongside their existing LHR flights I don't think it will deter Ghana Airways from eventually resuming their own service to London, whether that be to LGW or LHR.