PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2023, 18:25
laviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwalhx
Attended an event this afternoon, not much concrete to report.

New services - expect an announcement in the next couple of weeks (no indication on what)
X Ray equipment, first of the new scanners start arriving in September in T2 then following in lots of two, all training complete and fully operational for next summer.
T3 will be dedicated to Ryanair once T2 is completed.
U.S flights, working on them, hurdles are the exchange rate, lack of aircraft and lack of pilots - demand is not an issue.
Need to encourage more inbound traffic currently 15% inbound and 85% of traffic UK originating.
Marketing Manchester working with the Welsh Govt and Aer Lingus to market Manchester as gateway to Wales using New York flights, Aer Lingus looking at a long term partnership with Manchester (portent to future growth maybe?)
Ideally this could be Air India for a Winter 23 start. I believe their reason for cancelling slots for this summer was down to aircraft shortages.
We have Egyptair returning for Summer 2023 and that is it for new carriers. It would be very nice to see Etihad restore their 2nd daily service too.
US flights, once again, lack of aircraft. Certainly for Virgin.
United not resuming EWR in Summer 2023 was not down to "Manchester being bad" it was simply UA opting to chase leisure markets, I mean they've got Tenerife, Palma de Mallorca, Dubrovnik and Malaga added in the past two years. Summer 2024 I am 90% sure that UA will make the anticipated return.

Edit: Looks like we are only a few weeks away until the ACL Winter 2023 reports. Let's hope this Air India rumour comes to fruition.. if not this winter, it will be in 2024. MAN is next on the list for AI in Europe.