PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bonza has its AOC
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2023, 09:39
43Inches

Received 433 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by tossbag
****! Is that all you need? Better tell Sydney airport the 10's of thousands of people employed there are not required.

I used to think you were pretty smart and switched on and your comments pretty accurate...........nah, I never thought that, I was being sarcastic.
Um you do know that the airport has hundreds of ancillary businesses that are not related to aircraft movements at all, shipping ports generally don't run shopping centers, massive carparks, bus services,etc etc etc. Ther'es probably a small fraction actually dedicated to dispatching aircraft, that is if you went to a country airstrip that services a Boeing you might need 20 staff maximum, 5 or so for a turboprop.

When a politician (or the airport) quotes how many jobs it supports it generally includes even the taxis that sit in the stand outside and so on, and really just emphasizes my point that aviation is much better at making money than shipping.

The shipping companies that make billions are companies with diverse holdings and capture large % of the global market. MSC and Maersk alone own around 35% of the global container (TEU) capacity.