PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates rumour mill
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2023, 04:28
BANANASBANANAS

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by karnc
SIA 1st year capt basic is about 7800 USD. No housing, no education allowance. Income tax applicable.
Cost of living is at the rooftop….
Cost of living has always been high in Singapore but only on a par with Dubai. And it is true that SIA has gone almost exclusively to local contracts. But, 9 months is still 9 months. The basic salary hasn't changed. What has 'gone' are the expat only additional benefits. So, if you have a wife, children at school etc, then EK is still the better financial option. Flying pay remains very good in SIA though - just under US$ 3k pcm for a 70 hour month and good productivity rates above 70 hours. The way things are going, I can see expat contracts (and benefits) coming back again. Subjectively, Singapore is a nicer placer to live, the roster allows for a far better qol and ALPA S is as close to being a union as makes no difference.

Not wishing to start an SIA v EK debate though. My intention was purely to highlight that big profit shares are now coming back everywhere and I am very happy for both EK and SIA pilots.