PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Oxford graduates still looking? And for how long now???
Old 17th Jan 2004, 02:14
Arrestahook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modular

Reido,
if you already have a PPL and a few hours then def. go the modular route, at the end of the course you have the same bit of paper as every other mug in this position and saved a wedge in the process.

Getting a job is not about coming out of an Oxbridge esque FTO but about hard bloody graft afterwards and who you know. Undoubtedly Oxford can offer the best equipped training, but just say SIXTY FIVE THOW! a few times.
First time passes are what makes the difference when applying. You want first time passes in ground school, CPL and IR.

Oxford have a very poor first time pass rate for the IR. There are a few reasons for this - too much sim time, not enough in the a/c. No ILS facilities at Oxford (Read: costly positioning flight to another airport) + they are right in the middle of the country so have routes in 360 degress - too many to practice thoroughly.

In contrast Bristol or even Bournemouth have fewer routes, more time in the twin (modular) and consequently better first time pass rates. Plus you will pay far less.

In retrospect I would go to Bristol they seem to have a good, honest and reasonable setup with great results. I enjoyed my time at Oxford a great deal but in retrospect would have looked to Bristol, I certainly would never - ever pay £65K for an integrated course. If you are lucky enough to get a jet job and your £35K pa, just think how long that course fee will take to pay off. Madness.