PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eject! Eject! - John Nichol
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2023, 18:01
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyntor
I am looking forward to reading this with some trepidation. I suspect it will be a solitary activity that will resurface many memories.

It was some 20 years after my ejection that I realised how profoundly my ejection had affected me. Another life changing event was the catalyst for some deep reflection and during that period I realised that beyond the great stories and bluff and bravado, much changed fundamentally on that fateful day when I stepped over the side.

I am forever grateful to Martin Baker, to the guys who built and serviced my seat and of course to long range SAR who came and fished me out of the freezing water after many hours.

Thanks for this Wyntor - you make a really important point about reactions to a life-saving ejection - which can also be a VERY near-death experience. I do follow up in the book a number of characters who were profoundly affected by their experiences. And I think it's fair to say that the odd tear was shed reliving those experiences.

Some of the guys shot down over Vietnam (& families) I interviewed were certainly still affected by what happened (perhaps understandably). But so were some involved in perhaps 'slightly' less traumatic ejections.

One thing's for sure! Everyone was very grateful at that second (sometimes third and fourth) chance at life....

Is your #4772 your Ejection Club number - or your number in the Martin-Baker list?