PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video of Piper Banner Tow Plane Crash Hollywood FL
Old 22nd May 2023, 16:51
FlyingHigh976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sycamore
Maybe the NTSB/FAA should require a minimum power/banner size combination,rate of climb performance,and better study of `banner aerodynamics`(area,size /drag/weight)...
First, thank you for the multiple videos that have been posted in this thread. Made a number of points clear that I know I have never thought about.

In terms of the post that I am quoting for my reply, perhaps someone can comment if some of my impressions have any value:

1. The towline attach point appears to be below the center of mass of the aircraft.

2. The drag force is backwards.

3. The effect of 1 and 2 should cause a nose down pitch moment.

4. The elevators will be more in a nose up position than in normal (no banner) flight

5. The elevator being more nose up means that there is more of a down force on the aircraft requiring more lift from the wings.

6. It appears that the aircraft flight being discusses is probably on the back side of the power curve and close to the stall.

7. When the banner is released, the drag (backward pull) on the attach point will immediately disappear.

8. There will be (my expectation--is it correct?)that there will be a near instantaneous pitch up.

9. If the plane was already at the verge of a stall, it will most likely (my assumption -- is it plausible?) enter a stall.

10. Considering that (best assumption?) the plane was running with full power and the p-factor from the prop due to the high angle of attack, entry into a stall is highly likely.

11. Stability along the longtitudinal axis (roll) is doubtful.

12. Rapid rolloff to the right and quick reflex application of full left rudder seems to be consistent with what is visible in the videos

FWIW, depending on which video and how well the single stepping through the video, it appears (am I correct??)that there was a substantial bank angle to the right before the reversal to the left bank.

Just thoughts and not conclusions on my part.

thanks again for the videos that have been posted to make it possible to develop new insights