PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunstate Airlines & The Nomad
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:09
Sihawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nord Mohawk 298 was operated by Lloyds (around '87), then QLD Pacific (till '92 I think), then Majestic Airlines (the owner picked up 3 airframes for $500k at the time I seem to recall), all the while being based (maintained) in Bundy, She was a PT6 re-engined Nord 262 originally designed for the French Navy and then saw some use with some commuters in the US. She was a 26 seat pressurized high wing aircraft, with gear which retracted into fairings on the side of the fuselage, a bit like the Shorts 330/360, which incidentally she competed against up and down the coast against Sunstate. I flew in the jump as a kid, up to Gladstone, then back down to Bundy and Brisbane. Now and again it would appear in Sydney. I remember they didn't have an autopilot (or it was often US), and it was a REAL aircraft, in the smelly, greasy meaning of the word, with a 1+2 seating config. When I was 13 I was so desperate to have a legit reason to loiter around the airport that I begged the maintenance guys to be able to wash the aircraft, for free. Let me tell you, trying to remove the grease from behind the Pratt with a 10 foot tall broom was no fun in the QLD heat. But more often than not I'd crack the door and sit in the flight deck. Her days were numbered when Sunstate received their first Dash-8's, along with Flight West's Dash and Embraer Brasilia. There are 2 Mohawks remaining, if you can call it that. One was dropped into the ocean somewhere along the Great Barrier Reef, to help form some kind of artificial reef, and the other is sitting at the Caloundra aviation museum, VH-HIX or something similar I believe. Damn I loved that aeroplane.