PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eject! Eject! - John Nichol
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2023, 11:55
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dervish
Flt Lt Cunningham. In both cases parts of the aircraft were dismantled to access the part to be worked on, reassembled wrongly, and the disturbed part was not checked. The difference I believe is that in Flt Lt Burgess' case it was an error of omission, but in Cunningham's case it was a policy directive.
Hmmm. I really don't think these 2 tragic incidents can be described as 'similar' other than an element of human failing being involved. Which is true for many, many incidents.

I fully describe Budgie's in TORNADO - his Hawk out of control because of a servicing error involving aircraft controls. And a subsequent ejection out of parameters.

I also cover Sean's incident in EJECT - a sequence of largely unlinked occurrences, including the ejection seat servicing error, which resulted in a truly awful accident witnessed by one of my friends.

With access to both Boards of Inquiry, I am WELL aware of the vagaries of both incidents, and especially the controversy surrounding Sean's accident (I had met him with my family a few months earlier during a visit to the Reds. We also met Jon Egging that day - another sad loss for the RAF and especially of course, his loved ones).

I know this is an ongoing discussion on other forums, but other than the human failing aspect, would suggest there is no common theme other than the tragic death of 2 fine pilots.

The following users liked this post: