PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for flying lessons nr Southampton
Old 21st May 2023, 11:55
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by susier
Hello, I hope it's all right to post here... I wasn't sure where was best so sorry if I'm in the way.

My son is 20 and studying aerospace engineering at university. He would very much like to have a go at flying, and though we've found several options on the internet, I wondered if anyone knows which are the best places/tutors in the area as we don't know which to opt for, or even whether to go for half an hour or an hour initially.

I'd appreciate any guidance/tips/recommendations if anyone has a moment.

Very best,
Susier
Then he's doing Aeronautics and Astronautics, at the University of Southampton would be my guess. That's where I did both my degrees, and I also started learning to fly whilst I was there - I'm still learning both engineering and flying 30 years later, although thankfully have largely got the hang of both (and made a thoroughly enjoyable living).

For the experience to support what he's doing as an aeronautical engineer, he doesn't really need it to be standard (and relatively expensive) light aircraft flying. So my suggestions would be in descending order of priority:-

- He's probably too old at 20, but see if he's eligible to join Southampton University Air Squadron
- Southampton University Gliding Club https://sugc.net/
- Up the road at Popham airfield, learn to fly on microlights. https://www.flymac.co.uk/ who also use C42s, plus the other suggestions of schools using C42s above. Modern microlight aeroplanes are in many ways better and more modern to learn on than the 40+ year old "spamcans" that are more common on the light aircraft schools.
- If all else fails, I'm a big fan of Lee on Solent Airfield (when I was there it was HMS Daedalus and I started learning to fly there with SUAS, but it's still a superb spot which I visit regularly), and there's nothing actually wrong with learning on light aircraft - it's just more expensive.

G
The following users liked this post: