PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $165,000 debt and no flying job. Advice?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2023, 08:59
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
That takes me back to when I did my CPL.
Bob Oliver, who owned Murchison Air Charter, was waiting on the fence as I taxied in from the flight test with DCA’s Ron East. Bob asked Ron if I had passed even before I had been debriefed, and offered me a job on the spot. The date was 14 January 1966 . One week later I was on the payroll and checked out.
I believe nearly all those who trained with the same school (Civil Flying Services) obtained employment within weeks of qualifying.
Having started with only a bare CPL, after a couple of years in GA, usually working up to twins or gaining some instructor experience, many went on to airlines. Some made a reasonable career in GA, flying survey work, RFDS, corporate or whatever.
Other than when I went to Blighty and needed a Pommy ATPL to get a job, after that basic CPL, I never paid one cent for any further training or ratings. Employers sometimes required bonds, but generally provided pilots with whatever was needed for their business. The few that didn’t suffered turnover as pilots moved to more enlightened companies.
A case of supply and demand being in equilibrium.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 21st May 2023 at 10:36.
The following users liked this post: