PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $165,000 debt and no flying job. Advice?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2023, 02:25
grant.lebronte

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bosi72
I would've expected that mob who advertise the "GA ready course" would be able to get you at least some sort of casual gig to recuperate the costs and give you the taste of the industry.
To be fair, I did receive a little over 5 hours for the GA ready course. Yes, it cost a fortune (I had to take a personal loan). Unfortunately, there is a class FULL of the GA ready students and from what I'm told, all of these GA ready courses are completely full (mine certainly was and, I had to go on a waitlist to do my GA course). So another problem is a new flood of GA ready course graduates in the market, all of which are $5,000 or so out of pocket. I never heard of the GA ready course until I was based in the Top End and met some younger pilots that said it was the "bare minimum" to get a job.

I read in an unrelated thread where someone joked about not having "moon landings" in their logbook to score a job. I feel the sentiment of that poster's sarcasm. I honestly feel like I need a spaceship endorsement with 2 moon landings to even have a shot. Unfortunately, there are hundreds, if not thousands, in my exact position.