PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2023, 06:26
pug

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
SW and Pug if i were traveling from Sunderland or Newcastle towards Manchester and Liverpool i‘d have done the East-West portion a sight further North of Ferrybridge !

As for the M62 you know one of its prime reasons to exist where it is is that its a land bridge between the Irish Sea ports and North Sea and well north of Keighley and Saddleworth there is bugger all but mountains and sheep for a hundred miles or more
I’ve drifted slightly from topic but I was more referring to the heavily populated South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire side, which as the crow flies is around 30-odd miles from MAN but can take forever in a car. Anywhere north of Scotch Corner then there are alternatives but again they are pretty poor. Train services in my experience are shocking and take far longer than a car journey down the M62 on light traffic days. Don’t think we will ever see another East/West motorway link, hopefully some time they will provide some form of true High Speed Rail.

It’s actually quicker for me to get to STN than it is MAN from where I am and that shouldn’t be right in my view.