PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2023, 18:29
MANFAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysWatching1
Interesting post.

Absolutely no issue with competition and I'm sure Jet2 negotiated a good rate, I look at the facts based purely from the perspective of my own local airport and their performance. Its clear in my view that they have no intention of expanding the aprons in the short term, they are trying to utilise as many slots off peak as possible hence my comment referencing peaks and troughs but that has to fit the airlines schedules not Manchester's.

Looking at this from another angle, if Manchester had the apron space to overnight 4 additional units would JET2 have even considered Liverpool based on catchment, the answer is simply no. Manchester Airports catchment area quite clearly overlaps. According to SkyVector the distance between both airports is 20.7 miles, unless you live in the City Centre or towards Southport, Manchester Airport is as easy to get to as Liverpool. In terms of airport location yes its a factor but I suspect most families look at price first regardless of convenience. If the airport is an extra hour away but as a family of four you save say £100 each i suspect a family would take the extra commute.

The problem as i see it is that Manchester is now limited to an absolute figure in terms of stand availability , lets say 120 stands max, but over the last few years there has always been a significant number out of action leading to restrictions on capacity and of course growth, my point is that this should have been factored in allowing enough room for airlines to grow and accommodate any restrictions caused by the terminal work in progress.

One would struggle to see what the plan is, as the work in progress appears to be never ending. Even when the next pier is built and T2 is finished they are going to have to rely on the stands surrounding T1 and T3 for remote parking, it will be fantastic to extend T2 again and indeed build a large bussing apron over there, but that is another 5 years worth of disruption and is years away, how do you demolish those buildings whilst retaining the parking space in the short term ? If the maximum number of available stands is say 90 it will STILL be 90 5+ years hence and possibly longer. The forecast capacity for the terminal on completion 2025 was 35million pax a year, where did that come from, did the modelling take into account cause and effect ?

Forecasts for this year are 24m, I'm struggling to see how MAG get anywhere near the 35m figure unless every slot is utilised say 18 hours a day. 0600 -2400 from here on in.

Post pandemic every airport and indeed airline is seeing record growth, most are back to 2019 levels and higher, but at Manchester that appears to be being choked off by lack of operational capabilities which I feel should have been factored in.

If Liverpool benefits so be it, I say bloody good good luck to them, but I'm sceptical its down to Liverpool's performance and more to do with restrictions at Manchester, at this rate Liverpool will be laughing all the way to the bank for years as they cream off more and more displaced aircraft.
Are you on crack!
You obviously don’t have a bloody clue on what it takes to organise a transformation programme at an airport whilst keeping it operational with as little delays as possible!

Jet2 we’re always going to Liverpool regardless of whether MAN increased stand / apron space or not.

MAN is currently the 3rd fastest growing airport in the UK and one of the most successful and fastest growing within Europe!

I really find your comments very negative and unfounded. You obviously have a personal problem with MAN!