PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SR111 Disaster in the Air on UK TV tonite
Old 16th Jan 2004, 22:40
timzsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to hear from you again Ivan Taclue, I hope you are well, me still busy studying!

I watched the programme, and was a little stunned to be honest. How, in these times could an IFE be installed that had no equipment cooling and no means of switching it off. Did Swissair actually know this or not.

The other thing that puzzled me was that the CVR/FDR experts stated that the recorders stopped working six minutes before the aircraft crashed into the sea. How did they find out then that the FO shut down the No2 engine approx 1 minute before impact?

With regard to the "do you do the checklist list or do you just get down" debate I will say this. Had they decided to just get down ASAP and said to hell with the checklist, and subsequently not made it and something that was in the checklist that was not actioned contributed to the loss of the aircraft you can bet the media take would have been "had the crew followed check list procedures the aircraft might have been saved". Get my point?

As other people have said, we were not there in that cockpit with a major fire burning behind us. The cause of the accident, as the investigators highlighted, seems to lay well before the first smell of smoke in the cockpit.