PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eject! Eject! - John Nichol
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2023, 09:33
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by downsizer
You're right, you probably shouldn't!

However since you asked....the shortest answer is, despite never having met or worked with you, I didn't think I liked you.

I joined a couple years after the events referenced in the book and there was certainly a line in various crew rooms that you were a bell end, or a failure, or a big head, or various combinations of similar. Also annoyance at seeing you trotted out on the news etc, etc. These lines were, in clear hindsight, peddled by people who had never even come close to putting themselves into the danger that you and others did in '91. I'm ashamed to admit I accepted those PoVs without any critical thought or analysis and should have realised that if someone raises their head above the parapet then others will take pot shots. So I spent the last 30 years largely discounting anything you said or wrote. I like to think I don't behave like that today.

Now I was gifted the book and thought, I don't want to read this pish (also I spent more time on harriers than tornado), but I took it on holiday with me last summer and I couldn't put it down. I'll admit that parts brought a tear to my eye. I thought it was really well written and thoroughly enjoyed it. I only really understood a fraction of what you and the guys went through till I read it, my career was mostly based around Iraq and Afghan with a bit of ex-Yug thrown in.

Now, you may well be a bell end, I have no idea, but I suspect not! And you can certainly write a good book. And I will no longer trot out tired tropes about you until I've met you to confirm one way or the other!

Hope that makes sense and doesn't offend too much!
Thanks for the reply & it doesn't offend me at all Downsizer! Mrs N has certainly called me a bell-end many times.... and she married me!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I've had such comments (almost all from people I have never met) for 32 years - still do in fact. But it's water off a tubby old Nav's back to be honest.

In some ways, I guess I understand some of the resentment - I did indeed 'just get shot down' and my friends & colleagues at that time certainly gave more, and performed more successfully than I did. Indeed some gave all.

After leaving five years later, my career in the media and especially in writing has certainly 'taken off'. But I like to think that (especially after a million or so books sales and a BAFTA nominated documentary) it's not all 'just 'cos he got shot down'.

Anyhoo, I appreciate your comments and hope you enjoy the book. If we do ever meet, you can decide if you agree with Mrs N about any bell-endness...

I may see some of you at the 617 Sqn service this evening?