PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer Low level
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2004, 22:20
tu chan go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to stick in my tuppence worth.

I had a Bucc up to 615kts IAS once (at v low level). The shock wave of the quite thick wing travels up the tailplane until the whole rudder is blanked thus moving the ball firmly to one side. You could kick the ball back into the middle but it would just rocket over to the other side! Once the shock wave hit the T tail, the stick would start buffetting about which is quite alarming at 50ft! Having said that, the aircraft was a peach to fly even as it tried to shake you to death.

Yes, quite a handfull in the cct but then so is the Tornado (have flown both)

No, there were no electronic aids to low flying but the jet was so stable, you could take your hands off the controls and it wouldn't crash - the Tornado would!!

I remember a Sqn exchange to Twenthe in Holland during which we flew some of the Dutch F-16 pilots in the back seat. One of my mates was cruising along at 100ft and the mate in the back looked forawrd and said ,"Do you always fly with your left hand, Smithy?" (He could see Smithy's right hand resting on the coaming).

"No" came the reply as Smithy held both hands up to show the cloggy!

After 25 years flying in the finest air force in the world ( and I have experienced my fair share of some of the others!), the Bucc will always rank high in my affections.

What a beast!!