PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 16th Jan 2004, 20:20
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I did my PPL(H) with Advanced out of Frederick in 2002. Good instructors. Excellent maintenance on the aircraft. Training areas (confined area, etc) are only a few miles out. Most training is done right there on the field (they have large grassy area not spoiled by fixed wing).

That said, there are several schools closer to Buffalo than coming all the way to Baltimore. The only thing good about Baltimore is the Inner Harbor... the rest of the city is a total $hit hole (I live between DC and Baltimore). Also, the ADIZ (Air Defense Identification Zone) around the whole area isn't a major problem, but it's definately inconvenient... you won't be able to change any flight plans enroute and you can't call for a new one over the radio.

You have to shut down, find a telephone, call into FSS (sometimes waiting over 30 minutes if it's REALLY busy), and then file your flight plan! Some airports have shortened procedures, but I believe Martin State (where Helicopter High flies) is well inside the ADIZ.