PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moving the black dog’s grave?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2023, 23:12
langleybaston

Received 756 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Vice
It’s a Dog. The only people that care this much about someone’s dog and are so fixated on its name and preserving it have got to be the casual racists. The name was derogatory then as it is now and it is absurd to think that the dog has any link to the success of the raids.

In fact, the linking of the two things in my opinion serves to divide and discredit the effort and sacrifice that went into the raids. Get over it. There were hundreds of dogs on airfields all over bomber command and fighter command but nobody cares where their bones are now? Or are is there actually a huge shift to find the remains of every pet across the RAF during the period? Focus on the crews and the efforts and leave the casual racism out of it.

It should be uncomfortable to know that such divisive names were used for pets when the whole commonwealth were putting their lives on the line to fight the Nazis. Unacceptable then and unacceptable now.

There, I said it.
Actually we were fighting the Germans ........
I am not at all sure that the peope who bombed me out of my home, machine-gunned me as I ran for cover in Hove, or sent doodlebugs to Sussex were Nazis. That is modern airbrushing of history.
The following users liked this post: