PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $165,000 debt and no flying job. Advice?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2023, 09:35
PoppaJo

Received 295 Likes on 124 Posts
Can you move to Darwin? Is that an option? I mean, working in some other job locally and over time checking in with local flying operators. When I worked in charter recruitment many moons ago, we sorted resumes firstly for those who lived locally, and those who didn’t. We interviewed the locals first, then went to the interstate recruits to finish off any shortfalls.

Some key points for those we considered back in the day was obviously living local, attitude, potential nuisances, retractable endorsement, the three machines we valued time on was 182/206/210, we had one bloke who did his entire hour building on those three types, he was employed soon after. Twin ratings, IFR stuff, not important. I don’t know why so many fresh minted CPLs do all that stuff before they even get a job, do it after your first season.

Many of these course also offer time in aircraft that are fairly useless and disadvantages you against getting a job. Diamond, Bristell, Foxbat, Sling are all commonly used. You go for a job with that on your CV, then you have another person going for the same job with 50-100 hours in a 200 series, I’m putting your CV in the bin. That’s just how it works.

Are you early or late 40s?

Last edited by PoppaJo; 12th May 2023 at 09:47.