PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Realistic Options
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2004, 18:44
Gentle Climb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realistic Options

1st post so please be gentle & forgive any basic errors!

I am currently seriously considering a change in career direction to become a commercial pilot. I have intended to pursue this aim for several years but have not had the resources to cover the associated costs for training. My business has just reached a point where it can more or less run itself and still provide me with a reasonable income whilst I undertake training and I also now have the assets to cover the training expence. My question relates to my age. I am 35 in March and I am concerned that this is going to present a problem for future employers. I have spoken with a couple of organisations who didn't seem able to give an indication of what my options would be and of the significance of my age in the recruitment process. My ideal scenario would be to work part time with my business and fly part time for an airline, although this may prove difficult initially.
If the flying career is completely out of the question then I can look at other options or develop my business further but I am seriously bored with what I do although it pays very well!

ps I understand that I have the required qualifications and good health that are required.
If this has been covered previously, then I apologise but if anybody has a comment then I would be grateful to hear them.