PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2023, 05:11
West Coast

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Imagegear
The answer is no, however, Asians think very differently to Western Europeans or the US and will need to have a model that incorporates their specific circumstances.

Not only that, I believe that a more realistic objective would be like-minded Asian nations coming together collectively, and
gaining more confidence in their own ability to function together as an entity.

Unlike in the current situation, where individual nations who are not completely aligned in their defensive posture, call upon the USA, Europe or Australia for support and backup, Whereas a regional grouping would be much more confident in seeking common alignment and projecting a greater presence.

A model such as this would enable a more solid deterrent against aggression. I am also aware that some of these regional exercises are already occurring but are usually bolstered with additional elements from the West or Australia.

So the potential is there, but not the cohesive integration.

IG
Yet somehow NATO encompasses a largely Muslim nation and a number of secular ones and many in between. Not harmoniously of course but the working relationship exists, in theory at least. Also, don’t forget Japan (and other Asian nations) have existing security agreements with the US and work very closely together as is.

The deciding factor should be a prospective nation’s willingness to accept the articles that define NATO and not a preconceived belief of the eastern mindset.

If anything I’d see the tyranny of distance being the real inhibiting factor, not one of culture. Hard for Europe to be of timely military assistance to Japan when the quickest paths are likely through the aggressor and sympathizers.