PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edson AB crash, VRS?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2023, 14:34
staycalm

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hughes500
Staycalm, 300ft rate of decent, just pull the collective and the aircraft will climb, so not VRS. Dont believe it come to UK and I will show you ( or read Nick Lappos post many years ago ). Feel it, oh yes you do, before you ask, Yes I have been in full VRS with a ROD of 3000 ft a minute, scary !
The reason you got to 3000'/min was because you remained in the aerodynamic condition of VRS that started around 300'/min.

If you say that you can add power as RoD exceeds 300'/min and recover (while maintaining the attitude I described), I won't disagree with you as long as you acknowledge that it takes a lot more power than it normally would (VRS has reduced the efficiency of the rotor system). That's just the approximate point at which a change of attitude becomes necessary to effect recovery from VRS.

And yes, I'm sure you are feeling things at 3000'/min. I don't see much training value beyond half that. The proper response is the same. Unless your experience was an intentional demo, it's hard to imagine why someone would be dinking around at high altitude/low airspeed to allow room to get that extreme and still be able to recover.

I won't deviate from the intention I had in my original message. Others can argue semantics and personal terminology preferences.