PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice one, RAFAT!
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2023, 18:47
langleybaston

Received 747 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by aw ditor
ISTR the Flypast in 1953 (all 600!) was across The Mall rather than down/up it'. Good positive clearance' of weather too, post Cold Front? Suspect it was a coldish Warm Sector 'for most of the morning and early afternoon but, perhaps our resident Met Man could do an aftercast' please? All recalled distantly from the memory of a 16 year old Programme Seller' at the time.

AD.
There was a nasty cold trough giving a nagging northerly flow down east side of UK, and a polar low slow moving in the unstable air near the Frisian Islands, so a succession of showery troughlets spinning around just in the right place to hit Kent, Essex E Anglia and London.

I hated polar lows, but weather satellites eventually helped identify and track the blighters as they wandered southwards down the N Sea. Very few surface obs to detect them in those days ....... ships, rigs etc.

One Christmas c 1981 I helped my battered reputation no end by being about the only forecaster in NATO to go for a major snow event getting as far inland as the Clutch ............ a satellite pass picked up a developing Polar Low miles from any obs. A foot of snow at Rheindahlen.

Bound to get one right every now and then!

Your PM box appears to be full
The following users liked this post: