PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine over water
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2004, 16:43
Crashondeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested to see that people out there seem to take fewer precautions in the summer. Given that the sea water temperature is lowest in March and warmest in October I wonder how many take an Easter trip to the continent on summer percautions. Particularly if it is a nice hot day, you wear fewer clothes in the cockpit, so I would say that the (slightly)warmer water temperatures in the summer are offset by the fewer clothes worn.

I'm with Skydriller on this one. Survival suits, proper lifejackets (not airline style) and proper training. You will not believe how hard it is to get into a life raft until you try it. Then you realise you are in a calm swimming pool.

Mind you if you have a liferaft sat on the backseat that is not properly tied in, isn't it more likely to kill you in the impact that save your life once you get into the water?

Oh and another point, why is this restricted to SEPs? I always consider light twins slightly more dangerous than a single, particularly with a non current pilot.

At the end of the day it is up to the individual to decide what precaution to take. As long as your passengers have the same view.

Timothy, I hope your 20% is down to the number of flights rather than number of ditchings!