PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unreported light aircraft accident
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2023, 20:20
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maoraigh1
I'm just a PPL with a long-expired UK IMC rating. I got into cloud before getting the IMC, but did a 180 and got out without losing control.
I have done spinning. Aircraft do not stop descending after spin stops. Nobody has mentioned the risk of pulling high G getting out of the post-spin dive after exiting the cloud and seeing the ground. There is great variation in the height lost in a spin. After spinning initially in Chipmunks I was startled at the height my instructor chose to enter a spin in a Tiger Moth.
The parachute video is only relevant if you are wearing a parachute and are current in its use - I've never jumped and would prefer to try to descend on instruments.
That is your decision. But at least you were able to consider an alternative option, even if you decided it didn’t make sense for you.

The standard spin risks apply if one chooses to do a spin. As you mentioned, there may be increased risk during recovery due to visual cues. That is why I have mentioned that it is risky, as is the IMC flight option, depending on previous experience and aircraft instrumentation.

Mind you, it could be interesting for a low timer to do an instrument approach in your Tiger Moth with a cockpit like this….

www.welovestornoway.com/index.php/articles-auto-3/25264-vintage-visitor-for-stornoway

Last edited by punkalouver; 7th May 2023 at 20:50.