PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2023, 16:34
Confusious

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Plastic787
3Greens ever so sadly you meet some on the line that are. It seems to be the majority with this POV (but not exclusively) are ex Midland captains. I’ve heard numerous references from them to the idea that for BA pilots or cabin crew to travel on a FD JS they must be commuting to or from the station involved, which is stated absolutely nowhere in OM-A operating policy. As you have alluded to, the wording in OM-A has clearly been deliberately chosen so as to be permissive, not the other way around.

The story where a 787 Captain was refused access to a FD JS coming back to work after finishing a holiday in LCA (operating the next day) takes the cake. He was travelling entirely within the scope of the wording in OM-A but was denied by the operating skipper as he “doesn’t live in Larnaca”. I’d like to think if I’d been the FO involved on that flight I’d have told my Captain I was prepared to offload myself unless they could give a clear justification why they were deviating from company policy written in OM-A. It’s absolutely infuriating when people make up their own rules which aren’t written anywhere but even more so when it totally screws a colleague over for no good reason.
Offload yourself, are you serious? Regardless of the rules is it not the Captain's decision at the end of the day?