PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus/Britten-Norman aeroplanes
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2023, 05:56
Eutychus

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As SLF, I miss Aurigny's 'Joeys' from and to the Channel Islands.

I am sure the fold-down seats were repurposed from a Renault 4.

It was always a bit disconcerting to find a beginner's guide to the aircraft controls on the rear of the flight safety card, the expectation apparently being that one would climb over the seats and take over if the (single) pilot became incapacitated.

On the other hand, if you were near the front it gave you a grandstand view of all the pilot could (or, more often than not given CI fog, could not) see.

Possibly my last flight on one was supposed to have been Guernsey-Jersey-Dinard; I was the only passenger doing Guernsey-Dinard. When I arrived at Guernsey airport I was told the flight had been cancelled because Jersey was (of course) fogbound, but the airline told me to hang around the airport for a bit. About ten minutes later they paged me and said "it's your lucky day, someone in Dinard has chartered a plane and since we can't get one out from Jersey we're sending one from here and you can just hop in the back". I duly loaded myself and my luggage (I don't even recall passing any form of border control). The pilot looked back along the looong row of seats, raised his eyebrows at his sole passenger, and said "spread yourself around a bit".