PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus/Britten-Norman aeroplanes
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2023, 21:28
Sygyzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Imagegear

I delivered one of the Trislanders to Wings Field (if there was more than one) in 1982. I picked it up at Seletar in Singapore and delivered it about two weeks later via Philly International. I came west about. I considered going east, through Japan, but the longest leg was Honolulu - San Fransisco, and at over 2100nm it simply didn't have the legs, together with other long legs to small islands in the Pacific. This was with five 45 gall drums instead of the seats - they were on top of the tanks. It was winter time when there was unusually heavy snow in UK that winter. There was a major snag with the a/c. As it had over 10(?) seats it needed auto-feather fitted for US requirements. When I first got to the a/c the auto-feather system was a mess with any or all engines auto-feathering above 1500rpm! The auto-feather was disconnected and the UK CAA allowed one flight to Bembridge (Britten/Norman) UK to fix it. Except Bembridge (and other places in UK) were snowbound. With creative reading it was (I) decided that this one flight was all the way to Wings Field. This was over the Christmas period so nobody was in their office. Longest leg on this route was Reyjavik - Goose Bay.
I remember I was met by (possibly) the chief pilot (chap with a moustache) at Philly International who proceeded to tell me how to fly the Trislander in a crosswind - as there was a strong crosswind at Wings field. He was a true SkyGahd and I lapped up every word...

S