PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sudan brit evacuation
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2023, 07:45
Tartiflette Fan

Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninthace

There is an implicit assumption that all 4000 British passport holders were dual nationals,.
I don't see that. In an earlier article the journalist stated that 1 100 of the evacuees were sole British passport holders, so 70% dual-nationals.

with an underlying assumption that they were all primarily first generation Sudanese without any evidence being offered to support this view The second assumption, why does someone having the passport of a second country absolve the UK of its responsibilities when asked for help and assistance?
Since it is clearly stated in F.O. guidelines/regulations that they won't benefit from support, that clearly absolves the UK of their responsibility.

Otherwise what is the point of the time and expense of getting dual citizenship if it is of no value? It is not granted on a whim. .
I would guess in most cases that it is to establish and guarantee residence It is not granted on a whim, but it is automatic if you fulfil the conditions.

Finally, there is no mention of where any of these 4000 individuals were primarily resident. Many were visiting family to celebrate a major religious festival..
Who would know ? Earlier you criticised the journalist for making assumptions, and now you do the same for not making them..Hard to please...
Many were visiting family to celebrate a major religious festival..

..and the relevance is ......?

Could it have been foreseen and should they have travelled? Well, given absence of the ambassador, his 2 i/c and sundry others from the country al at the same time, one concludes either it was not or that they do not read their own advice.
I don't know if it happens (I doubt it ) but all evacuees should have been charged something for the assistance they received.`Thinking back that won't happen as no holidaymakers were charged when there was that major air-lift a few years back following the Thomas Cook failure..

EDIT: Out of interest I looked at reactions to the evacuation in some other countries.

Switzerland There was public criticism but the Swiss F.O. said it is general policy that Swiss overseas travel on their own responsibility. Dual-nationals had problems being allowed admittance to the air-strip. They left on with French and German flights
Germany: All citizens had to make their own way to the air-strip.
Saudi Arabia: I hadn't read anything about this, but it seems the Saudis evacuated more than any other nation - 5 409 - by ship.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/gulf...ation-efforts/

Last edited by Tartiflette Fan; 5th May 2023 at 12:21.
The following users liked this post: