PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Map Reading
Thread: Map Reading
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2023, 20:19
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
1972 up front on a Carvair ex Rochford airport where they had a decca driven map which they used for approaches to down to 300ft into Le Touquet and Lympe.
Had decca on a yacht but when I needed it one time useless due to signal coverage.
Bought the first hand held GPS but sailing off the Essex coast near the military ranges in poor visibility through the swatchways when it indicated up to 56 knots..afterwards read about gps interference originating from military sources.
Hacked a Kobo e-reader with a gps/vario chip which was easily readable in bright sunlight due to liquid paper. Used it in track orientation display but one time I thought it was on the blink as the terrain didn’t match the display until I realised I was flying backwards towards the mountain (with respect to the ground in case of smart Alec’s).
Most alarming was on the very new F100 with an electronic cockpit and relying on the display instead of charts…dirty descent into Sofia during the break up of Yugoslavia on an unfamiliar routing to a VOR approach..ding ding..display goes blank..company had bought the cheap version driven by two DMEs without an inertial platform..dropped out if it didn’t have the required signals or if they were on the same relative bearing.
As to the gripper argument..no comment. ;-)