PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viking restoration at Blackbushe
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2023, 10:15
Planemike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wycombe...... Really pleased to read your first hand report on the progress with restoring G-AGRW... It is project very close to my heart as my first ever flight was from Blackbushe in an Airwork Viking G-AIXR..(broken up at Southend in the early 60s)., Left Blackbushe on a foggy morning 05 November 1952 with a final destination of Nairobi reached some two and a half days later... Night stops in Malta & Khartoum (no, I would not want to be there today !!!). Have great memories of the trip.. Same crew all the way through, three in the cockpit and one in the cabin, Helen our stewardess for the trip (fell madly in love with her, as you do at seven years of age!!!) . Spent time "up front" as my Dad was ex RAF aircrew, the same as crew on XR.
The last time I flew LHR - NBO in !983 it took around nine hours with two "up front" and a cabin crew of 15: BA 747. So in 31 years progress from a non-pressurised tail dragger to Jumbo....!!
Very best of luck with continued success of the project.... I hope I have the chance to come down and admire it at some stage.

Last edited by Planemike; 6th May 2023 at 10:02.