PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind landing A320
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2023, 00:20
Window heat

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Best post so far

Originally Posted by Boeingdriver999
With an approach speed of ~140 knots over the ground and a max crosswind of ~40 knots the crab will be ~15 degrees.

Using words like “kick off” aren’t very helpful. It should be a smooth and steady input.

Anyway; if you watch the many YouTube videos showing off airline pilots ‘skills’ you will see that most crosswind techniques are appalling and bear no resemblance to what is taught.
The videos I see on FB are embarrassing to the profession. In the 747, I would flare fully crabbed, push straight as the energy deteriorates and land wings level and straight. There may be a degree of drift but you're never perfect.

In the A330, I use identical technique but avoid the aileron application as a slow rudder application does not lead to a roll due to the FBW action.

I used the same yechnique in the A380 and the 737, except if my timing was off in the maggot id drop a wing to put the in to wind wheel on first, just like I do in lighties.

The 5° limit in the baby bus should only be needed when the xw is huge or you muck up the timing. If your timing is good, the A/C straightens as it touches, no drift and no crab.