PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL/CPL Training: Ground School topics
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2004, 08:24
Decimal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floppy

I know how pissed off you must be. Essentially the theory accounts for about 5% safety, and the rest the practical flying test.

Why have the UK CAA taken over 3 years to get JAA FCL2 into shape? When other countries have done it ..no problem.

I am probably opening up a can of worms here.... but do UK pilots still think they have some kind of elitism over foreign pilots? that then migrates to the CAA in some way.

How many items in everyones AIP coiincide with every other? Answer 98%

I am sorry floppy, for doubting you, but I think 90% is a little exaggerated. I might guess 15%. I know there are differences, but apart from Air Law; Bells are Bells, Aerodynamics don`t change, humans don`t change, nor does RT, on top of that you need a good sense of mental arithmetic!!

Without wanting to piss of the FAA community, I have friends that have said to me that they have read(or were given) the FAA exam papers prior to writing them, and they are a walk in the park.( CPL only!!) But that is a system fault with the FTOs. I am not surpirised that the UK CAA takes exception to them, becuase of that reputation. NB - that does not mean FAA pilots are substandard - this is purely theory . Remember that the whole idea of JAA, is to achieve harmonistion with the FAA - not Europe!!

Other International CAA`s have reputable systems, far more helo pilots per head than the UK,far less accident/incident, rates yet our UK CAA expects everyone else to follow suit, when other countries have a vast amount more experience than them.

I suggest boycott the b@stards - WHO`S WITH ME?

I can`t wait for the replies to this one

DECIMAL .

PS. Floppy, hope you`re finding the material good. Surprised the CAA couldn`t give you an equivalent licence based on your military background without too much fuss - they like that.... But soon the military pool will run dry.........