PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine taxi, yellow electric pump
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2023, 16:03
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumblebee
I'd argue that in this case, tasksharing is appropriate, because it's embedded into a series of Normal Procedures - and whilst supplementary, it is not overriding.

"The FCOM also contains normal procedures that are non-routine procedures in the Supplementary Procedures chapter and in the Special Operations chapter."

Do you actually get the EFB out and 'Read and Do' the OETA Supplementary procedure, further delaying engine shutdown and placing below wing operatives at greater risk?

There is no specific tasksharing published for this procedure, so defaulting to Normal Procedures tasksharing would be quite sensible.

OM-B has nothing to do it - I don't work for a single-type Operator. Do you mean the FCTM? The AIRBUS FCTM just refers back to the FCOM Supplementary procedure....

What do you disagree with?

Do you disagree that in these circumstances, shutting the engine down and switching off the Y ELEC pump are not technically dependent on each other?

Do you disagree that the order the two actions are carried out is technically inconsequential.

Do you really disagree that delaying an engine shutdown is an increased risk factor?

You state:

Despite being trained not to do so, ground crew still unfortunately manage to get themselves ingested into engines, and procedural errors and technical failures still occur..

There's nothing arbitrary about it - maybe it's a considered decision I'm entitled to make as a commander, varying an SOP where safety considerations override?

Whatever order it's written down - in this circumstance it just doesn't matter...the PTU will still be barking away down the back whichever side the residual system pressure comes from.
There are probably far more important things for us to be losing sleep over....
Hi,

I will rephrase it.

If you apply the Airbus standard, not airline specific, the OETD/OETA is a supplementary procedure and will be treated as such, as described in the FCTM AOP->Tasksharing rules and communication. Read and Do Principle, no actions from memory.
You will not find those actions within the FCOM -> Normal Procedures -> Tasksharing as this section deals with SOPs flows and as we said the above is a read and do.
So you will have to read and do and follow the Supplementary Procedure in order to comply.

Having said that, many operators customize their procedures to different extents. The most common one is probably embedding the OETD/OETA supplementary into the SOPs flows, so that the crew will apply the actions from memory without treating it as a supplementary procedure. Usually a risk assessment is conducted depending on the airline familiarity with the type and the number of sectors flown daily to assess if it is worth it or not. Where I work, OETD/OETA is applied as a normal SOP flow but this is reflected in a document called "OM-B", that is under the EASA nomenclature "Airplane operating matters". It is basically how the airline adjusts the normal, supplementary, special, limitations etc.. according to the Operator's needs and will often differ from what is written in the Airbus "pure" FCOM.

Bottom line is: how you will execute a certain type of procedure mainly depends on what is written in your books. I have the "luxury" of starting Engine 2 during taxi from memory and shutting it down as well because this is how it is coded in our lot. Our checklists are modified as well to make sure we do not forget some stuff on the way...
But if this was not the case we would read and do the procedure every single time, 4 times a day, like we used to till about 10 years ago (if memory serves, maybe more) when we treated the OETD/OETA as a pure supplementary procedure.

Hope this helps.