PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unreported light aircraft accident
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2023, 15:53
421dog

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by punkalouver
Choose your risk.

Most pilots with a CAP 10 know how to do a spin very well. They usually didn’t buy it for gaining any instrument experience. Got some news for you. Active input for a spin(called holding it on the stops) ain’t that difficult.

One should keep in mind is that there are plenty of very good aerobatic pilots with no instrument experience who have done thousands of spins and can actually keep the greasy side up better than you ever could(when appropriate).

So yeah, it is quite possible with some pilots. Just do another spin like you did a hundred time previous in your CAP 10 and recover just like you did a hundred times previously.

Hmmmm. 421Dog is USA based. Scared of spins are we, after never having been trained how to do one?

OMG OMG
Lots of aerobatic time in everything from aerobats to extras. Been spinning since primary training in the ‘80’s.

Feel no need to be insulting, but I feel that your (IMHO, very irresponsible) suggestion of how to get through a cloud deck in an emergency might be taken to heart by someone who is stuck, and it will most likely get them killed.

I wasn’t talking about active input to get or keep an aircraft in a spin, I was talking about the fact that an aircraft that will truly spin and is in a fully developed spin, will keep doing so even if no control inputs are made until an active input is made to make it fly again. In the Cap 10 (which really spins) in question, it will recover with stick in pro or anti (slower spin , anti spin, slower recovery, faster spin, faster recovery, greater rate of descent pro spin) turn, but will lose less altitude with the stick neutral. It won’t stop spinning without rudder input to stop the rotation, and appropriate nose down attitude (according to the POH)

Last edited by 421dog; 1st May 2023 at 19:18.