PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2-6
Thread: Jet2-6
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2023, 23:55
ROC10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone actually know the official rules re basing G-reg aircraft in the EU? TUI base a G-reg 738 in TFS every winter and I believe Jet2 also keep a spare 738 in TFS for backup purposes - not sure if the Canaries would fall outside of any ‘EU’ restrictions though?

TUI also base a G-reg 738 in DUB each winter operating TOM flights via the UK airline. Maybe they’ve managed to agree some form of simplification by virtue of their German (EU) parent co? Or is it because it’s not year-round?

I believe Jet2 used to have a base at ALC (and possibly PMI?) but don’t think they do anymore. As suggested above, it’s a possibility that they could reopen one of these. I’ve seen a lot of reference to this being impossible post-Brexit (without a EU airline) but I admittedly have no idea what the detailed rules actually are.

In terms of whether there will actually be a new base, I’m also not convinced but could ABZ be a possibility? I believe TUI have pulled their based (Sunwing) aircraft for S24 so could be a bit of a gap there, although probably not the largest of markets. Jet2 could perhaps make a 2-3 aircraft base work but it could dilute the EDI/GLA bases.