PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2-6
Thread: Jet2-6
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2023, 18:50
pug

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
The arguement for LPL and SEN is that they can't operate the flights they want out of MAN/STN at the times they want. They wouldn't be competing against themselves, they would be using LPL/SEN as satellites of the constrained larger bases. Extra staff would be needed where ever they expand, but there would be staff at MAN/STN that would leap at going to LPL/SEN, so you have an experinced core to build your base and they are also near enough to move people around when the inevitable sh*t happens.

Gatwick might be an unserved market (don't see any other sizable one's left), but my understanding is that the slots that Jet2 would need to open a viable base aren't available at Gatwick, so the idea seems a non-starter. If there was to a 'fire sale' by one of the exisiting operators, I could see them jomping in, but otherwise I would imagine all the existing incumbents will be doing everything they can to keep them out.

And wouldn't yr point about foreign slots apply wherever they expended?
Where has this argument originated? Far as I can see this is not the issue. It also implies that they are going to open new bases as an overspill to fly to presumably more popular hotspots whilst focusing on the more niche destinations from the ‘slot constrained’ airports, which doesn’t make sense. I do take your point, in such a scenario LPL would be ideal, but it is not my understanding of the situation as things stand.

My point is this is a rumour with nothing to substantiate it at the moment. It’s also plausible to add to that rumour (if it does hold merit) by speculating that they perhaps have somehow acquired the slots to operate a base at Gatwick. I’m pretty sure STN was rubbished prior to announcement for a similar reason, which ultimately proved unfounded. And of course the point about foreign slots applies, which is my point. They are hard fought for, they will only be used on the most lucrative of ventures and not to use them at an airport that might be peripheral to their overall growth strategy. Don’t forget that the company are about to start using their first NEO in the coming days, larger aircraft allows for better use of scarce slots without having to employ more aircraft.

If it’s not to be LGW then there is probably more merit in BOH or even ABZ as rank outsiders given their isolation from the current Jet2 network.