PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G/A Light Aircraft ditches off Leighton Beach, WA
Old 28th Apr 2023, 00:46
43Inches

Received 433 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
While I would always prefer definitive manufacturer advice derived from some form of testing over generic advice, in the absence of the former, often old U.S. military books have the best information. After all, they have acquired more hands-on experience ditching than than any flying school or airline.
An example of how airlines don’t always get it right was something across all Qantas manuals which filtered down to other operators who plagiarised their stuff to satisfy CASA’s obsession with thick manuals. In ditching, after the aircraft came to a stop in the drink, this had the Captain order the evacuation via the P.A. No Australian operator got to try it, but if they had, they may have been quite disappointed.
I think Qantas definitely got to test out poorly thought out Evac procedures. QF 1 comes to mind, whilst not on water it highlighted that the Captain can not always be in a position to order everyone to leave, so the other staff need strict guidance on what to do if no communication is received. If stuff is broken, burning, obviously amiss and dangerous. Have some procedure if there is no timely PA as the Flight crew could be incapacitated or the PA simply not working, as well as other electrical systems knocked out that power the normal communication methods.

I've had a situation where the batteries had to be turned off during a rejected start as the engine was continuing to motor. No comms with the cabin at all with PA or dings or whatever electrical method, so opened the door and told the FAs what was happening. Turns out a number of relays had welded open so any electrical power got to the starters. You don't want the FA's sitting in the dark down the back with no info too long, especially if the engine had torched during the abort.