PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G/A Light Aircraft ditches off Leighton Beach, WA
Old 27th Apr 2023, 23:14
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
I'll have a go Clare I delved through a whole bunch of military manuals as to their recommendations for everything from a T-34 (nee Bonanza type) to the B-52 and B-36. All recommend flap without exception, though the amount of flap depended on type, some are known to have such poor ditching characteristics that bail out is recommended if at all possible.Something the B-25 manual states,

While I would always prefer definitive manufacturer advice derived from some form of testing over generic advice, in the absence of the former, often old U.S. military books have the best information. After all, they have acquired more hands-on experience ditching than than any flying school or airline.
An example of how airlines don’t always get it right was something across all Qantas manuals which filtered down to other operators who plagiarised their stuff to satisfy CASA’s obsession with thick manuals. In ditching, after the aircraft came to a stop in the drink, this had the Captain order the evacuation via the P.A. No Australian operator got to try it, but if they had, they may have been quite disappointed.