PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF v RN - Falklands
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2023, 20:47
SLXOwft

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by OvertHawk
Ewan Southby-Tailyor's work would be a good place to go next if you wish to read more on the subject.
Chapters XVII and XVIII of Reasons in Writing to be precise and should be read in context with Chapter 8 of Michael Clapp's Amphibious Assault Falklands (wriiten with the help of Ewan Southby-Tailyour)

Loss of the Chinooks and Wessii on Atlantic Conveyor was part of the root cause, others were politics, unfamiliarity with amphibious ops, disobeyed orders from CTG 317.0, break down in communications, cap badge rivalry, general fog of war etc.

Probably a whole '5 Brigade v 3 Commando Brigade - Falklands' thread for another forum.

The reanimation of this thread allows me to ask Mog a question that has been niggling me.

LM explained that he had to keep a couple of SHARs in the anti-shipping rôle in case 25 de Mayo hove over the horizon (they were hidden aft of the island, so that the admiral didn’t see them).
I presume that this would be for two unlucky pilots on a last ditch suicide mission with retarded iron bombs - did planning get as far as the attack profile? Or was there a theory 2 inch could render the flight deck u/s?
The following users liked this post: