PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New British built trainer, the Swift, central to the RAF’s green agenda.
Old 26th Apr 2023, 21:47
VX275

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my secondary duties whilst working at the A&AEE was that of anthropometric dummy as I worked closely with Doc Morgan and John Eatwell. Unfortunately I am tall sat down, 98%tile buttock to crown, whilst only being 6 foot stood up, so I got involved with a number of cockpit integration trials (Bulldog replacement, Vigilant, Islander and NVG auto disconnect). I'd be interested (and available for trials) if the designers of this aircraft have considered tall crew earing helmets and parachutes as that will be a military requirement. I was too tall for the Vigilant even without a helmet and with one wouldn't have fitted in some of the others with the clearances needed. I remember the Firefly and how the canopy grew in size to accept helmets and how the resultant blown canopy affected the handling (a problem solved too late to prevent it being replaced by the Grob). That high mounted tail plane and bulged canopy doesn't look good for its spinning characteristics, I do hope it had an easily jettisoned canopy or a ballistic recovery parachute fitted.
The following 2 users liked this post by VX275: