PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G/A Light Aircraft ditches off Leighton Beach, WA
Old 26th Apr 2023, 02:55
PiperCameron

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts
Interesting reading here (thanks Clare Prop!).. it's good to know that 'no flaps' for ditching is the way to go. Ditching isn't something I was taught, doing my training so far away from water!

On the subject of re-use: I'd imagine this aircraft would be a write-off since any magnesium alloy components will have started fizzing almost straight away.

Originally Posted by First_Principal
However when I first read of this, and listened to the describe failure mode, I was reminded of an incident in my flying past, when I came across a leaking fuel drain. As I recall this was one of the wing drains, and fuel was dripping at a fair rate. Subsequent investigation determined that valve was a little 'sticky' and had probably remained partially 'up' after someone had carried out a fuel check.
I've had quite a bit of first-hand experience with leaking PITA wing tank fuel drains on PA-28s, so it's a fair thing to pick up - especially after refuelling. Slow drips are more common than fast ones and a last-minute walk-around prior to boarding is essential.
The following users liked this post: